Completing proof of identity

Some Media Super forms, including the Combine and save rollover form and Benefit payment form, require you to supply your Tax File Number (TFN) or other proof of identity in order to facilitate processing.

In many cases, your TFN may be all that is required, however if your TFN is unable to be validated by the Australian Taxation Office you will be required to provide full proof of identity which may result in processing and payments being delayed.

You may wish to provide a certified copy of your primary ID or documents as described below when submitting these form/s to avoid any such delays.

Please note, if you are submitting multiple forms along with your certified ID, you will need to provide a seperate original certified copy of your ID for each completed form. For example, if you have three other funds you want to combine into your Media Super account using the Combine and save rollover form, you will need three original certified copies of your ID. We cannot accept photocopies of the one certified document.

You will need to provide certified ID with your application to commence a Media Super pension.

Identification documents

Primary photographic identification

You will need to provide a certified copy of one of the following primary identification documents:

  • Current Australian or foreign driver’s licence (including the back of the driver’s licence if your address has changed)
  • Australian passport (current or may be expired within 2 years)
  • Current foreign passport*, or similar document issued for the purpose of international travel*
  • Current card issued under a State or Territory for the purpose of proving a person’s age
  • Current national identity card issued by a foreign government for the purpose of identification*

Identification documents must not be expired (excepting an Australian passport which may be expired within 2 years).

Alternative identification

If you are unable to provide any primary photographic identification, you will need to provide two certified identification documents, one from each of the following lists:

  • Birth certificate or birth extract*
  • Citizenship certificate issued by the Commonwealth
  • Pension card issued by the Department of Human Services (Centrelink) that entitles the person to financial benefits


  • Letter from the Department of Human Services (Centrelink) or other Government body in the last 12 months regarding a Government assistance payment
  • Tax Office Notice of Assessment issued in the last 12 months
  • Rates notice from local council issued in the last 3 months
  • Electricity, gas or water bill issued in the last 3 months
  • Landline phone bill issued in the last 3 months (mobile phone bills will not be accepted)


Name change

If you have changed your name, you must provide a certified copy of the relevant name change document*, for example, a Marriage Certificate issued by the Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages, Decree Nisi or Deed Poll (in addition to the above identification).

If your legal name or date of birth does not match exactly to our records (excluding aforementioned name changes), please contact us for further instructions.

Signing on behalf of another person

If you are signing on behalf of the applicant you will need to provide the following:

  • A certified copy of the Guardianship papers or Power of Attorney; and
  • A certified copy of the appropriate proof of identity for the holder of the Guardianship or Power of Attorney.

Note: ID is not required for the member – only for the Power of Attorney


If your identification is written in a language other than English, the identification must be accompanied by an English translation prepared by a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd. (NAATI) at the level of Professional Translator or higher (or an equivalent accreditation), to translate from a language other than English into English.


Certifying documents

In order to confirm that the photocopies of your ID documents are true and identical copies of the original/s, we require you to have the copies certified by a person who is authorised as a witness for statutory declarations before providing them to us.

If you are required to provide multiple copies of your ID, each copy must be independently certified. Photocopies of one certified copy will not be accepted.

Click here for a full list of people who are qualified to certify your ID.

How to certify documents

After sighting the original and the copy and making sure both documents are identical, the certifier must include on EACH page:

  • Written or stamped ‘certified true copy’
  • Signature and printed full name
  • Qualification (such as Justice of the Peace, Australia Post employee, etc)
  • Date (the date of certification must be within the 12 months prior to our receipt)


A verification of the certifying party may be performed. If a discrepancy arises, you may be requested to re-certify documentation.


Important Note

The information on this page is a guide only and we may request additional documentation prior to any payment.