Completing proof of identity

You'll need to supply us with proof of identity documents for some transactions and changes to your account, including if you wish to make a withdrawal from your super, you want to combine other accounts, or you want to start a pension account.

In many cases, your Tax File Number (TFN) may be all that is required; however, if the ATO is unable to validate your TFN, you will need to provide full proof of identity.

Step 1

Check if you need to provide proof of identity. The form you need to complete will tell you if proof of identity documents are needed. If you're unsure, please call us on 1800 640 886 and we'll be able to help you.

Step 2

Complete the required paperwork and arrange for your identity documents to be certified.

Find out more about about what documents you need to provide and how to certify them.

What documents do I need to provide?

Primary ID

You will need to provide a certified copy of one of the following primary identification documents:

  • Current Australian or foreign driver’s licence (including the back of the driver’s licence if your address has changed)
  • Australian passport (current or may be expired within 2 years)
  • Current foreign passport*, or similar document issued for the purpose of international travel*
  • Current card issued under a State or Territory for the purpose of proving a person’s age
  • Current national identity card issued by a foreign government for the purpose of identification*

Identification documents must not be expired.

Secondary ID

If you are unable to provide ID from the above list, you will need to provide two certified identification documents, one from each of the following lists:

  • Birth certificate or birth extract*
  • Citizenship certificate issued by the Commonwealth
  • Pension card issued by the Department of Human Services (Centrelink) that entitles the person to financial benefits


  • Letter from the Department of Human Services (Centrelink) or other Government body in the last 12 months regarding a Government assistance payment
  • Tax Office Notice of Assessment issued in the last 12 months
  • Rates notice from local council issued in the last 3 months
  • Electricity, gas or water bill issued in the last 3 months
  • Landline phone bill issued in the last 3 months (mobile phone bills will not be accepted)

Once you have made photocopies of the appropriate ID documents, you'll need to have them certified before you send them to us.

There are specific requirements that need to be followed when certifying ID, please view the full list of people who are qualified to certify your ID and how it should be completed.

The information on this page is a guide only and we may request additional documentation prior to any payment.

Important information

Name change

If you've changed your name, you must provide a certified copy of the relevant name change document*, for example, a Marriage Certificate issued by the Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages, Decree Nisi, or Deed Poll in addition to the above identification.If your legal name or date of birth does not match exactly to our records (excluding the name change circumstances listed above), please contact us for further instructions.

Signing on behalf of another person

If you are signing on behalf of a member you will need to provide the following:

  • A certified copy of the Guardianship papers or Power of Attorney
  • A certified copy of the appropriate proof of identity for the holder of the Guardianship or Power of Attorney.

Note: ID is not required for the member – only for the person signing.

* Translations

If your identification is written in a language other than English, the identification must be accompanied by an English translation prepared by a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd. (NAATI) at the level of Professional Translator or higher (or an equivalent accreditation).

Step 3

Send your completed form and certified copies of your identity documents to:

Media Super
GPO Box 4303
Melbourne VIC 3001

If you have any questions about the ID documents you need to provide, please call us on 1800 640 886.