Who can certify your ID documents

On this page members can look up who can certify their ID documents and how the certification should be completed.

Certifying ID documents

ID documents need to be certified before they are sent to us so we can confirm that they are true and identical copies of the original/s.

How to certify documents

  1. If you have multiple copies, each copy must be independently certified. Photocopies of one certified copy will not be accepted
  2. After sighting the original and the copy and making sure both documents are identical, the certifier* must include on EACH page:
    1. Written or stamped ‘certified true copy’
    2. Their signature and printed full name
    3. Their qualification (such as Justice of the Peace, Australia Post employee, etc.)
    4. The date (please note that we cannot accept documents that are dated more than 12 months old)
How to certify image

* A verification of the certifying party may be performed and if a discrepancy arises, and you may be requested to re-certify documentation.

Who can certify ID documents?

If you need to have your ID documents certified, any of the following people can help you.

Within Australia

A person in one of the following occupations:

  • Architect
  • Occupational therapist
  • Chiropractor
  • Optometrist
  • Dentist
  • Patent attorney
  • Financial adviser or financial planner
  • Pharmacist
  • Medical practitioner
  • Physiotherapist
  • Midwife
  • Trade marks attorney
  • Migration agent
  • Veterinary surgeon
  • Nurse


A person on the following list:

  • Accountant who is a fellow of the National Tax Accountants’ Association or a member of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, Association of Taxation and Management Accountants, CPA Australia or the Institute of Public Accountants
  • Member of Chartered Secretaries Australia
  • APS employee (engaged on an ongoing basis with five or more years of continuous service)
  • Member of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy
  • Australia Post Permanent Employee (who is currently employed with the post office & has at least five continuous years of service in an office providing postal services to the public) or Agent (who or is in charge of supplying postal services to the public)
  • Member of the Australian Defence Force (who is an officer; or a non-commissioned officer within the meaning of the Defence Force Discipline Act 1982 with two or more years of continuous service or a warrant officer within the meaning of that Act)
  • Australian Consular Officer or Australian Diplomatic Officer (within the meaning of the Consular Fees Act 1955)
  • Member of Commonwealth Parliament, State Parliament, Territory Legislature or a Local Government Authority (State or Territory)
  • Bailiff
  • Member of the Governance Institute of Australia Ltd
  • Bank Officer, Building Society Officer, Credit Union Officer or finance company officer (with five or more continuous years of service)
  • Minister of Religion (under Subdivision A of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961)
  • Commissioner for Affidavits or Declarations
  • Notary Public
  • Court Officer: Registrar or Deputy Registrar of a Court, Judge, Clerk, Magistrate, Master of a Court, Chief Executive Officer of a Commonwealth Court
  • Permanent employee of the Commonwealth (or Commonwealth Authority) or a State or Territory (or State or Territory Authority) or a Local Government Authority with two or more years of continuous service
  • Engineer who is a member of Engineers Australia (other than at the grade of student), a Registered Professional Engineer of Professionals Australia, registered as an engineer under a law of the Commonwealth, a State or Territory or registered on the National Engineering Register by Engineers Australia
  • Person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the law of the State or Territory in which the declaration is made
  • Fellow of the National Tax Accountant's Association
  • Police Officer, Sheriff or Sheriff's officer
  • Holder of a statutory office
  • Senior executive employee of a Commonwealth Authority or a State or Territory
  • Justice of the Peace
  • SES employee of the Commonwealth
  • Legal Practitioner who is enrolled on the roll of the Supreme Court of a State or Territory, or the High Court of Australia
  • Teacher employed on a full-time or part-time basis at a school or tertiary education institution
  • Marriage celebrant (registered under Subdivision C of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961)

Outside Australia

  • an authorised staff member of an Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate
  • an authorised employee of the Australian Trade Commission who is in a country or place outside Australia
  • an authorised employee of the Commonwealth of Australia who is in a country or place outside Australia
  • a Member of the Australian Defence Force who is an officer or a non-commissioned officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
  • a notary public, subject to approval by the Fund AML/CTF Officer on a case by case basis. Please contact the Fund for advice prior to obtaining a notary public certification.