Legislation requires employers to pay Superannuation Guarantee (SG) contributions for most of their employees into a complying superannuation fund, such as Media Super.
You are NOT required to make super payments for employees who are:
- paid less than $450 (before tax) in a calendar month*
- aged under 18 years of age and working 30 hours or less per week
- non-residents being paid for work done outside Australia
- covered by bilateral superannuation agreements with other countries
- certain senior foreign executives who hold certain visas or entry permits, or
- paid to do work of a domestic or private nature for not more than 30 hours per week.
* Subject to exception under certain awards and agreements.
To work out if you’re an employer for superannuation guarantee purposes or whether your employees are eligible for super, visit the ATO.