Temporary residents departing Australia

If you are a temporary Australian resident there are restrictions for accessing your super. But if you have permanently departed you can apply for special payment of your balance. Find out how you can access your super.

If you are or were a temporary Australian resident, there are some restrictions on how you can access your super. Unlike permanent residents, you can't automatically draw on your super once you reach preservation age, retire, or turn 65.

Temporary residents can access super if they:

If you have permanently departed Australia

To access your super, you will need to apply to have it paid to you as a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) after you leave.

  • You will need to meet the following eligibility criteria to claim your DASP:
  • you accumulated your super while working in Australia on a temporary resident visa (excluding Subclasses 405 and 410)
  • your visa has expired
  • you have left Australia (and don't hold any other active Australian visa)
  • you are not an Australian or New Zealand citizen.

Before you apply for your DASP, it's a good idea to check that your previous employer has paid you all of the super contributions they are required to.

You need to apply to Media Super for your DASP within six months of leaving or your visa expiring.

If you don't apply to Media Super within six months, we will transfer your benefit to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) as unclaimed super. You will no longer be a Media Super member, meaning you will not earn investment returns and your insurance cover will cease. You will need to claim your super directly from the ATO. Relying on relief provided by ASIC, the Trustee is not obliged to notify or give an exit statement to a member who was a temporary resident where we transfer their superannuation to the ATO following their departure from Australia.

If you're a New Zealand citizen leaving Australia permanently, you may be able to transfer your super to New Zealand under the Trans-Tasman Retirement Savings Portability scheme.

To apply for a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment, please call the Helpline on 1800 640 886 or +61 3 8687 1854 if you're already overseas.